08 November 2004

Some comfort

I’m still not entirely happy about the result of the election, though these cartograms help a little (especially those at the bottom).

Even more helpful was a viewing of The Incredibles. I’ll post a review at the Ole Movie Review Circle when I get around to it (backdated for timeliness, of course). Needless to say: the movie is incredible, the best new movie I’ve seen since Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Both of those things are distractions, though; they don’t change the fact that Bush was reelected. One of Erica’s seminary professors, when he was serving in churches, would routinely preach on Psalm 146 after an election. Check out verses 3 and 4:

Do not put your trust in princes,
in mortals, in whom there is no help.
When their breath departs, they return to the earth;
On that very day their plans perish.

The psalmist provides sound advice, even if the election turned out otherwise. Human efforts are transient, but the work of God is permanent. I can be disappointed and upset that Bush was reelected. But his reelection is not the end of the world, as much as my apocalyptic paranoia would have me believe otherwise; and I can do my best to improve the world, regardless who the leader of this country is. I should trust that God won’t let us destroy ourselves, and I shouldn’t put my faith in something so brief, so ultimately meaningless as another election. Things will change again, as they have already done.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Syndication success! I've been thinking about getting a paid LJ subscription for a while now; I guess you're the snowflake that started the avalance. ;)

--Bill J.

November 10, 2004 7:25 PM  

<< Home